Chapman students, if you thought finals were bad, how about a case of norovirus to go along with them?

Randall Dining Commons, pictured above. Photo by David Lena

ORANGE — On Monday, Chapman University released a statement about a suspected breakout of a highly contagious stomach virus that affected approximately 50 students.

But according to new reports, it is possible that the virus may have originated in a dining hall at the university.

Although university officials originally believed that the strain of norovirus that affected students was not foodborne, Jenna Chandler of the Orange County Register reports that the County health inspectors closed the Randall Dining Commons cafeteria over the weekend for “intensive” cleaning and disinfection.

The County reinstated the dining facility’s health permit on Sunday, according to health inspection records. But all food-handling cafeteria employees are not allowed to return to work until they complete a County-approved food safety class.

Symptoms of the norovirus include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea and dehydration. An infected person can spread the virus before showing any symptoms. Because of its contagious nature, it is possible that more students will be infected with the virus.

Earlier this week, at least 80 students at Boston College fell ill, with what was believed to be norovirus, after dining at Chipotle Mexican Grill. Last month, Chipotle closed 43 restaurants in Washington and Oregon after health authorities linked an E. coli outbreak to six restaurants in the area.

 

Originally posted 2016-04-12 21:52:15.

Join the Conversation!